Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Genealogical ADD - I can't focus!

Well, with lots of time on my hands, I have been working on the Family Tree during the COVID19 lockdown.  I don't know about you, but I find it very difficult to focus!  My attention jumps between social media, news updates, and email.  Committing to just working on the Family Tree and blocking everything else out, is really difficult.

I find myself jumping from family lines to family line.  I have a zillion tabs open, with several different Ancestry trees open -- so I won't forget who I was working on.  When I go back to a tab, I often can't  recall who I was searching or why I have someone's family tree open!  It's like Genealogical ADD.

I find myself either working on 8th cousins or looking at a direct line that I never fleshed out. I've also gone down the DNA rabbit hole, researching a new match's tree and then getting lost in a family that's not mine!

I'm not very good at doing a research plan, as I've been at this for so many years -- I'm generally adding to my tree, when new records or DNA hints point me in a new direction.  New record sets are generally easier to establish a research plan for, going chronologically or searching specific surnames.

Maybe keeping a better log of the lines I'm working on, and a to-do list will help!

No comments:

Post a Comment