Friday, April 29, 2016

Great Great Grandmother's Funeral Notice -- Elizabeth Rodda White 1904

Wow, the British Newspaper Archives are such a treasure trove! Today I thought I'd go back through some of my direct ancestors and verify death dates via newspaper articles on deaths/funerals.  I've found that often I have the Civil Registration date, which is a Quarter (Jan-Mar for example), but not the actual death date.   

The newspapers often report the death, and sometimes have an article detailing the funeral, mourners, etc. -- these can be a goldmine of genealogical information.  

Recently I found the death notice of my Gt Gt Grandmother Elizabeth Rodda White in Feb 1904 in Pendeen, Cornwall, England.  That was exciting enough, but somehow I missed a second article published on 3 Mar 1904 about her funeral!!  Wow, so many names and verification of which of her children survived her, and which had predeceased her (including my Gt Grandmother).





No comments:

Post a Comment